Thursday, January 8, 2009

Advantages of Having Fishes as Pets

I've always been a fish lover since I was in grade school and I remembered when I was in high school, I always try to be thrift in spending my allowance just to buy some more fishes every weekends. But during college, all of them, except my two janitor fish, just died one by one since I no longer have time to care for them. But after I graduated and had a job, I decided to have fishes again as my pets. Actually, I also do love to have reptiles at home but they are expensive and I'm sure it will make my mom freak out so I think I will just settle for fishes for now.

Having fishes like any other pets makes you relax, because its very soothing to watch them swim and they have actually have a lot of advantages over having other domesticated and furry animals.

First of all fishes are less expensive to buy and low maintenance pets. Unlike furry pets, you don't need to visit a veterinarian regularly and fish medications are a lot cheaper. It is also less traumatic to see a floating dead fish once in a while than seeing your dog or cat lying dead in your house. hahaha.

Secondly, fishes don't require that much tender loving care. Its perfect for those busy people because fishes don't need to be walked around, bathed or to be taught to have a proper toilet training. You also don't need to deal with noise like barking or wailing at night. All you need is enough space for them to swim freely, little amount of food, clean water and that's it.

Third, cleaning is also a lot easier, you just have to clean your aquarium and for my concrete ponds, I just siphon the dirt that settles at the bottom then replace the water twice a month, with furry animals, you have to clean your place every day from fur that they leave behind.

But having fishes can also be addicting, you always want to have more, to have different kinds of breed and to have a bigger specie but unlike when I was in high school, I now only have a few kinds of fishes, until maybe I can add more fish tanks, hehehe.

my bettas







carp and shubunkin









double tails








my red pacu and 11 year old janitor fish















sword and mollies

1 comments:

Staci said...

You've never met my goldfish. At times, I swear they're more high maintenance than my two dogs. My mom even told me that the next time I ask her for a new fish tank, she's just going to the pound and getting me another dog because I seem to handle them better. I do understand how addicting they are, though. I had three tanks once and wanted more. Then I remembered I had to keep them all clean.

 
template by suckmylolly.com | distributed by free xml blogger templates